This is something we’ve all googled at one point or another in our lives, but how many of us have actually been successful?
We’re all guilty of wanting to make a change but not being consistent in how we do it. The good news is, there are solutions!
Leon Taylor hosted a wonderful event with us this month where he taught us some effective techniques for breaking bad habits and building good ones. Leon taught us 3 techniques, taken from James Clear's Atomic Habits:
- Refine to daily action: I will ‘behaviour’ at ‘time’ in ‘location’
- Habit stack: After ‘current habit’ I will ‘new habit’
- Temptation Bundle: ‘Current habit’ I will ‘new habit’ then I will ‘reward habit’
Our personal favourite was Habit Stack.
Let’s take one of my bad habits as an example:
- Acknowledge bad habit
BAD HABIT: Skipping breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Acknowledge new habit to replace bad habit
NEW HABIT: Eat breakfast
- Acknowledge a good current habit that you do consistently
CURRENT HABIT: I brush my teeth every morning (you would hope so)
- Write down this formula:
- Fill in the blanks with what you’ve written so far:
After/Before CURRENT HABIT I will NEW HABIT
After/Before ‘I brush my teeth every morning’ I will ‘eat breakfast’
Here's a short clip of Leon live coaching one of our members, Dolly, to help them break the unhelpful habit of multi-tasking and make solo-tasking habitual:
What do you think of this method?
Tell us on LinkedIn